Monday, November 26, 2012

Where the World Began

Assignment no.1: Where the world began


The sun was shining. It was the first day, the day of a new beginning, the day of rebirth. The sun was shining on my face as I approached my new school. It was the school I have been longing to go to for some time. An institution where I could finally feel…at home. Even though it was early September the morning air was fresh like the flowers that blossomed in spring. As I was approaching the front doors to the Hoschule, I could hear birds singing nearby, serenading my new beginning. They were the orchestra, playing the inaugural concert in the hall of my life. I entered the school, the Hoschule fur Musik Basel; my new world. I could hear students practicing. As I walked through the school I could hear everything from Beethoven’s third Cello Sonata, to Schumann’s “Dichterliebe” song cycle, to the Chausson poem. I was overwhelmed with joy and excitement. After exploring the school for some time I headed towards the office to register. The process took some time, as my German was not great at the time. I received my schedule and proceeded to my first lesson with my new teacher. On my way to the class I began to reminisce of the past years of my life (the old world). For a moment I almost felt a sort of nostalgia towards it but it soon passed as I was more than happy to begin my new one (the new world) and to be rid of the sorrows and angst that the previous life had held. I entered the class. I was early so I had time to warm up. As I began to play, I could hear the soulful singing sound of my cello resonating through the room, joining the many other students practicing in the adjacent rooms creating a sea of a-tonal tonality. My world had begun. I had been reborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment